(Download PDF version here)
1013 Pinoak Lane
Minden, ON K0M 2L1
- Minden Hills Councillor for Ward 2 (since 2014)
- Committees of Council (less active through COVID challenges)
- Source Water Protection Committee for Kawartha Lakes and Haliburton
- Ontario Municipalities Association (AMO) Housing Committee (since 2014)
- Rural Ontario Municipalities Association (ROMA.ca) Board Member
- County of Haliburton Climate Change Committee
- Liaison for ROMA with the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) for the Teeny Tiny Summits – on topics important to rural communities.
- Member of the Communications Committee for ROMA
- Member of Black Lake Property Owners Association in Minden Hills Ward 2 (since 1997)
- Independent Writer
- MA, Transpersonal Psychology Leadership & Conflict Transformation, Atlantic University, 2021
- EdD, Department of Adult Education, OISE, University of Toronto, 1994
- MA, Educational Administration, Central Michigan University, 1976
- BA, Sociology/Psychology, Saginaw Valley State University, 1974
Academic University Activity
- University of Toronto professor (part-time): Applied Study in International Women and Development, and Women Studies, Critique of Social Sciences and Research Methods (between 1991-2006.
- Trent University professor (part-time): Women and Development, Canadian Studies (Women in Canada): (between 1990-2003)
- Supervision of student Independent Studies research in the areas of International Development Studies, Environment and Women Studies.
- Organized an expedition for Women and Development students to participate in the International NGO Forum on the Environment and Development, and organized a visit to the United Nations Building, New York, 1991‑92.
- “Politics for a New Age in a Grounded Canadian Context” Presently in the editing stages for publication.
Chapters in Books
- “Ideology as Law: Is there a room for difference in the right to housing?”, Shelter, Women and Development: First and Third World Perspectives, Editor: Hemalata C. Dandekar, George Wahr Publishing Company, Ann Arbor, Michigan (1993):97‑105.
Special Issues Editor
- Guest editor, “Women and Human Settlements: Vancouver to Istanbul” Women and Environments, 39, 40 (Summer 1996).
- Co‑editor, “Women and Housing”, Canadian Woman Studies 11, 2 (Fall 1990).
- Habitat II – From a Gendered Perspective. Women and Environment, Co-author. Winter (1997).
- “Right to Housing Right to Debt: Another Patriarchal Paradigm” Women and Environments Summer (1996): Co-author.
- Women Speak For Themselves: Perspectives of Social Action for Housing Women and Environments Spring (1995): Co‑author.
- “Patriarchy, Women and Human Settlements” Women and Environments, April (1993):50.
- “Complicity or Social Change: Housing Requirements and Development” Canadian Woman Studies Spring (1993): 48‑51.
- “Women for a Just and Healthy Planet” Women and Environments Spring (1992):17‑18.
- “Food for Thought: Making Women Visible” Environment and Urbanization 3, 2 (Fall 1991):46‑50.
- “Housing Language, Housing Reality?” Canadian Woman Studies Journal 11, 2 (Fall 1990):6.
- “Women in Toronto Creating Housing: Participation and Process.” Canadian Woman Studies 11, 2 (Fall 1990):38‑41.
Refereed Journal Reviews
- Review of “Post-Beijing”, Canadian Woman Studies/les cahiers de la femme, York University, and “Beijing and Beyond: Toward the Twenty-First Century of Women”, Women’s Studies Quarterly, Volume XXIV Number 1&2, The Feminist Press at the City University of New York. Resources for Feminist Research, Vol. 26 Nos. 1 + 2 (1998) 154-157.
Refereed Book Reviews
- Review of Women, Human Settlements and Housing Edited by Caroline O.N. Moser and Linda Peake. London: Tavistock Publications, 1987. Resources for Feminist Research 19 (March 1990):42‑43.
- Habitat International Coalition Women and Shelter Group Statement to Habitat II, United Nations Commission on Human Settlements, Istanbul, Turkey, June, 1996.
- International Year of Shelter for the Homeless, 1987: Guide to Audio/Visual Resources Reviews, Toronto: This monograph appears under Rooftops Canada Foundation, 1987: 2‑14.
- Developed and presented audio-visual presentations on rural housing, the environment and development in ‘third world’ countries to public education institutions, schools, colleges and community groups, 1993 – 2002.
- “Greening Begins at Home” a resource guide for green and alternative enterprises in the Haliburton Highlands Bioregion, produced by Tilda Truchan, Sponsored by the Haliburton County Community Co-operative, Inc., July 2000:18-19.
- Habitat International Coalition Women and Shelter Group Statement to Habitat II, United Nations Commission on Human Settlements, Istanbul, Turkey, June 1996.
- Contributor/facilitator of the North American Report for the Habitat International Coalition, Women and Shelter Network Newsletter, Nairobi: 1989 to 1994.
- Women Speak for Themselves, Co-editor/Facilitator, newsletter, Toronto, 1,2 and 3, 1993.
- “Reflections on Rio” Jornado, Montreal, August 1992.
- “Research in Synchronicity and Astrology” Seventh Dimension, Toronto, Vol.1 No. 1, January 1978.
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
- Housing Initiatives and Social Change, “Made to Measure: Designing Research, Policy and Action Approaches to Eliminate Gender Inequity” National Symposium, Maritime Centre of Excellence for Women’s Health, Halifax, October, 1999.
- “What’s Sex Got To Do With It?: Women Accessing Decision-Making from Local to Global Strategies”, Participation in Turbulent Times, 1997 Annual Conference, International Association for Public Participation (IAPP), Toronto, September 6-10, 1997.
- Housing and Health, NGO Global Forum, Right to Housing Right to Debt?, Huairou, China, September, 1995.
- “Social Activism in Planning: Including Community and the Environment” 1995 Annual Planning Conference, American Planning Association, Canadian Institute of Planners, Toronto, April, 1995.
- “Women and Human Settlements: Gendered analysis of sustainable development” Women and Sustainable Development, Sustainable Development Research Institute, University of British Columbia, May 27‑31, 1994.
- “Sustainable Development or Sustainable Community ‑ Feminist Perspectives from North and South” Women and Sustainable Development, Sustainable Development Research Institute, University of British Columbia, May 27‑31, 1994.
- “Women Speak for Themselves: Perspectives and Social Action” Joining Forces to Further Shared Visions, The Association for Women in Development Sixth International Forum, Washington D.C., October 21‑24, 1993.
- “Solidarity and Diversity: Debt and Homelessness” NGO Global Forum, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, June 3, 1992.
- “Women, Housing and Ideology” Earth Parliament: meeting of indigenous peoples, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, June 9, 1992.
- “Ideology, Development and the Right to Housing” Learned Societies Conference, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, May 31, 1992.
- “Ideology as Law: Is there room for difference in the right to housing?”, Shelter, Women and Development: First and Third World Perspectives, College of Architecture and Urban Planning Conference, University of Michigan, May 7‑9, 1992.
- “Strategies for Bringing Issues of Women and Shelter to Policy Makers, Development Agencies and NGO’s” Learning Together/Working Together: A South‑North Dialogue, The Association for Women In Development Fifth International Forum Washington D.C., November 21‑24, 1991.
- “Housing Rights and Empowerment: Identity and Culture”, Discovering Our Future: An International Development Seminar, Trent University, Peterborough, May 1991.
- “Food for Thought: Making Women Visible”, International Colloquium on Urbanization and the Environment, Human Settlements and Sustainable Development, sponsored by Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation, International Development and Research Canada, United Nations Commission on Human Settlements, Canadian International Development Agency, and University of Toronto, Toronto, June 22, 1990.
- “Sheltering Ourselves: Developing Housing for Women,” 4th International Interdisciplinary Congress of Women, New York, June 7, 1990.
- “Women and Housing Networking”, Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women, Yellowknife, November 1989.
- “Global Feminism”, (panel participant) Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women, Yellowknife, November 1989.
UNITED NATIONS ADDRESS
- “Habitat International Coalition Statement to the General Assembly”, 13th session of the United Nations Commission for Human Settlements (UNCHS), Harare, Zimbabwe, 1991.
SELECTED OUTREACH EDUCATION: PUBLIC ADDRESSES, WORKSHOPS, FORUMS and SEMINARS
- Why Minden Pride, Presentation and paper, presented to Minden Rotary, 2019.
- Home Energy Savings Strategies and Education Workshop, Minden United Church, Haliburton County, February 28, 2009
- “Energy and Art”, One-of-a-Kind Art Show, Haliburton, Haliburton County, June 2008
- Know Your Home Inspections Inc., Principal – providing Home Inspections and Home Energy Evaluations, training for Energy Evaluators and health, safety, energy efficiency seminars and workshops for the built environment. March 1999 to May 31, 2022.
- Highlands East, Municipal Cultural Planning Research/Planning 2014
- “$100 today contributing to Gross National Happiness for Future Generations” supporting women and families of Smoky Mountain waste disposal site in the Philippines, Re-Thinking Development – Local Pathways to Global Wellbeing, 2nd International Conference on Gross National Happiness, St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, June 20-24, 2005
- Promotion of Safety, Health and Income Opportunities in Housing, Haliburton Health Services Corporation and Know Your Home Inspections, Series of Workshops and Seminars in the Haliburton County Area, September 2001-April 2002.
- “Gender, Water and Development” Roots of Our Future: Earth, Water, Camp Kawartha, Trent University student affiliated program, November 9-12, 1999.
- “Environments, Women and Human Settlement Planning Networking Workshop”, NGO Global Forum, Istanbul, Turkey, June 1996.
- “Issues and Insights at the NGO and Government Forums on Women”, Reporting Back From Beijing’95, Panel Discussion, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, October 3, 1995.
- Fourth United Nations Conference on Women, Beijing, China, September 1995.
- “Housing Needs Meet the Debt: Regional and Global Trends”, NGO Forum on Women, Beijing ’95, Huairou, China, September 3, 1995.
- “Participatory Research: Partnerships not Paternalism” Public Interest School, Ontario Public Interest Research Group, University of Western Ontario, February 5, 1995.
- Housing and Community Economic Development Consultant, Ontario Provincial Ministry of Economic Development and Trade, Toronto, Ontario, 1994 to 1995
- “The Philippines: Social Change or Social Reaction?” Adult Education Graduate Student Organization, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, December 2, 1993.
- “Human Rights and Housing: An Ontario and International Perspective” Housing Forum sponsored by The Children’s Aid Society, Co‑operative Housing Association of Ontario, Rooftops Canada, Canadian African Newcomer Aid Centre, Tenants Non‑Profit Redevelopment Corp. April 13, 1993.
- “Women and Development or Women Re‑defining Development?” Harbour Front: Development Week “Making the Links South and North”. February 6, 1993.
- “Women and Development: A Challenge to Economic Assumptions” University of Toronto: Global Development Network, Hart House. February 1, 1993.
- “The Earth Summit: Where it came from and Where its going” St. James United Church, Etobicoke, September 20, 1992.
- “Patriarchy: the unsaid at UNCED” Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, September 18, 1992.
- “Report Back from Rio” United Nations Association of Canada, August 22‑23, 1992.
- “Women and Housing” Women for a Just and Healthy Planet, Toronto, June 12, 1992.
- “Women and Shelter/Human Settlements”, NGO Global Forum (Habitat Tent), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 1992.
- “Women, Housing and the Environment”, How Common is Our Future? Mexico City, March 1991.
- “Women and Housing Network Meeting”, Habitat International Coalition Women and Shelter Group, organizer, Ottawa, May 1990.
- “Community and Housing Rights”, Housing Rights Conference, facilitator, Ottawa, May 1990.
- “Building Blocks of Communities, not Commodities: Housing as a Women’s Issue”, Agenda for Action: Ontario Women into the 1990’s, Founding Convention: Ontario Women’s Action Coalition. Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, October 27‑29, 1989.
- “Women and Housing: Challenges for Co‑operators”, Co‑operative Housing Federation of Canada, St. Johns, Newfoundland, May 1989.
- “Women Struggle for Shelter in the ‘Third World'”, Co‑operative Housing Federation of Canada, St. Johns, Newfoundland, May 1989.
- Rooftops Canada Foundation Project Report, Co‑operative Housing Federation of Canada AGM, St. Johns, Newfoundland, May 1989.
- “Housing: a Women’s Issue”, Older Women’s Network, Toronto, Ontario, April 1989.
- “Rooftops Canada Foundation Project Report, Co‑operative Housing Foundation of Canada AGM, Vancouver, British Columbia, May 1988.
- “Women and Housing”, Women Plan Toronto Conference, Toronto, Ontario, April 1988.
- “Co‑op Housing: an Alternative for Older Women”, Older Women’s Network/The Centre for Women’s Studies in Education ‑ OISE, Public Forum, Toronto, Ontario, January 1988.
- “The History of the Toronto Women’s Housing Co‑operative”, Shelter for Women: More than Just a Roof, Toronto, YWCA conference, October 29‑30, 1987.
- “RoofTops Canada Foundation”, Co‑operative Housing Foundation of Canada AGM, Vancouver, British Columbia, May 1987.
- “Staffing in Co‑operatives”, Co‑operative Housing Federation of Toronto, Grindstone Island, Ontario, Summer 1984.
- “Physical Maintenance for Housing Co‑operatives”, Co‑operative Housing Foundation of Canada AGM, Halifax, Nova Scotia, May 1984.
- “Co‑operative Management”, Co‑operative Housing Federation of Toronto, Grindstone Island, Ontario, Summer 1983.
- “Staffing Housing Co‑operatives”, Co‑operative Housing Foundation of Canada, Vancouver, British Columbia, May 1981.
- Co produced and produced multi faith services for Minden Pride.
- Initiated the Climate Change Action Committee for the Minden Hills Municipality.
- Created, procured funding for, and implemented the Women’s Perspectives on Housing and the Environment (WoPHE) initiative
- Assisted community-based groups and organizations in the development of not-for-profit housing in Ontario
- Member of the International Housing Rights Conference Planning Committee, sponsored by CMHC, CIDA, and Shelter for the Homeless Foundation, Ottawa
- Organized cooperation between churches, government, public agencies and neighbourhoods in sharing resources in responding to local common concerns
- Raised the profile of adult education programs and increased participation in area schools
- Promoted networking of rural social workers with various agencies for exchange of resources and knowledge in ‘third world’ countries
- Business Owner: developed and ran Know Your Home Inspections Inc. providing home inspections for home buyers and residents and providing energy evaluations through Natural Resources Canada initiatives.
- CUSO Co-operant, Mali, West Africa: Developed and implemented social and technical physical aspects of a habitat improvement project in rural villages; facilitated inter-organizational and community co-operation, assured success of educational/demonstration components and community construction methods.
- Manager Housing Co-operatives in Ontario: Using a team approach to ensure community management and development including staffing, financial planning, budgeting, post construction release inspections, maintenance and renovations, and corporate requirements and community participation. Oversaw implementation of renovation and maintenance work/contracts. Facilitated training of volunteer community committees. Fostered member participation through adult education and promoted co-operative management systems.
- City Parks and Recreation Assistant Director: included planned and implementing recreational facilities, conversion of an industrial building and promoted municipal recreation programs for youth.
- Community Education Intern Director administering and promoting adult education courses and programs through the public schools.
- Community Organizer: Organized neighbourhoods for the development of cohesive communities among multi-racial, socio-economically diverse urban residents. Facilitated housing and community improvements.
Certificates & Workshops/Conferences
- Inspection World Conference, Caribe Royale Orlando, 8101 World Center Dr, Orlando, FL 32821, USA, January 2018 (Including Tiny Homes Study)
- American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI Conference, San Diego, 2017
- Ontario Onsite Waste Water Association Member and Inspection Task Force Participant, 2013/14, 2017
- Net Zero Construction Design, Ontario, EnerQuality Builders Course, Kortright Centre for Conservation, 9550 Pine Valley Dr, Woodbridge, ON L4L 1A6, Canada, 2016
- Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) Conference, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Ontario Association of Home Inspectors Conference, Burlington, 2015
- Ontario Waste Water Associations, Onsite Wastewater Systems Seminars/Presentations, Orillia, 2015
Quality Urban Energy Systems of Tomorrow, QUEST2015 Getting Smart About Energy in Our Communities, Toronto, 2015
- Rural Ontario Municipalities Association (ROMA) Conference, Toronto, 2015, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors, National Conference, Halifax, 2012
- RETScreen International, Niagara Falls, 2011
- Road to the Code Event, EnerQuality and Ontario Home Builders Association, Toronto, 2010
- RETScreen, Centennial College, 2009
- Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV) Operations & Balancing, VanEE, Ottawa, 2009
- Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI) National Certificate Holder #NCA00336
- Thermal/Infrared Thermography Certificate, Level 1, the Snell Group, Toronto, 2008
- Ministry of Natural Resources Canada – Certified Energy Trainer Course, Ottawa, 2008
- Certified Energy Star Evaluator, EnerQuality, Vaughan, 2007
- Energy & Environmental Building Association, EEBA Series, Houses that Work, San Diego, 2007
- Residential Energy Services Network Conference, San Diego, 2007
- Energy Star Builder Workshop, EnerQuality, Toronto, 2007
- Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET) Conference, San Diego, 2007
- OBC and Building Services Course, Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Bancroft, 2006
- OBC Legal Course, Loyalist College, Bancroft, 2005
- New Home Construction Pre-Delivery Inspection Course, Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors, Whistler, 2004
- Property Inspectors Conference (CAHPI), Whistler, 2004
- CMHC Air Quality Seminar, Waterloo, 2001
- Certified Energy Advisor with Green Communities Assoc. (Cd.) and Natural Resources Canada, Toronto, 1999
- Defect Recognition Course PACHI/OAHI, Mississauga, 1999
- Durham College, Certificate, Residential Home Inspector, Oshawa, 1999
- Annual National & Ontario Association Conferences, Workshops & Seminars
Past Professional Memberships
- WETT Association, Wood Efficiency Technology Transfer, Certified Member
- Haliburton Highlands Chamber of Commerce
- Haliburton County Home Builders Association
- Ontario Association of Home Inspectors, Board President – two terms
- Canadian Residential Energy Services Network (CRESNET)
- EnerQuality: Energy Star Consultant and Evaluator
- Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI), Board of Directors
- Canadian Union of Public Employees, University of Toronto, Bargaining Cttee.
- National Action Committee on the Status of Women Housing Committee
- Stephen Greenford Award, Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors, 2020
- President’s Award, Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors, 2014
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Scholarship for Graduate Studies, 1989-90; 1990-91; 1991-92; 1992-93
- Lemaire Co-operative Studies Award: Canadian Co-operative Association, 1988-89
- Graduate Research Assistantship, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, 1988-89
- Canadian Standard Authority – CSA A770 Home Inspection Technical Committee 2015 to present
- Founding member of Minden Pride 2016
- Board Member for the Peterborough Haliburton YWCA Foundation
- Committee Member of the YWCA HERS Committee
- Century homes Presentation, Haliburton Historical Society, January 23, 2014, Abbey Gardens Haliburton Ontario
- Co presented with Toronto TD Mortgage Broker on Home Purchasing and Energy Efficiency, to Local Lakelands Real-estate Association, 2014
- Arranged National Lobby for Regulations and recognition of qualifications for the Home Inspection Industry practitioners in Canada
- Presented information to Fleming College’s Sustainable Building Design Program students, Abbey Gardens and Haliburton Solar and Wind Green Energy, 2014
- Successfully represented non-profit organization and neighborhood association at the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) south of Jamestown high-rise development, Toronto, Ontario
- Promoted safe and environmentally sound community designs for changing communities, WEED Foundation, Board of Directors
- Past Member, Municipal Committees Minden Hills Library Committee and TimberSport
International Grassroots Community Education & Development
- Turkey: U.N. Habitat II, the City Summit
- China: Fourth World Conference on Women and NGO Forum
- Columbia: Fedevedianda
- Mexico: Habitat International Coalition
- Philippines: local and international planning strategy & development
- Zimbabwe: United Nations Commission on Human Settlements
- Brazil: United Nations Commission on the Environment & Development
- Sweden: consultations with leaders in housing development & public education programs
- India: Habitat International Coalition Women and Shelter Group founding member
- Mali: consult on strategy and implementation for rural improvement projects
- U.S.A.: consultations with neighbourhood organizations and communities